Friday, March 20, 2020

Genealogy in the Time of Coronavirus


Preserving personal experiences for history, that's what any good genealogist should do, right? I'm going to let the next series of posts go from research-based to stream of consciousness.

Someone asked yesterday, "When was your last normal day?" I know today was my most abnormal day yet. I got up early to grocery shop and found the parking lot at Market Basket as full at 7 am as any afternoon when I have been there. As I thanked the employees who served me, I realized I was about to break into tears. The stress has been building and I wasn't aware how close to the surface it is.

My shopping list was somewhat changed from previous weeks. I don't usually buy dried beans, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have some on hand. I got milk in 1/2 gallon containers to freeze, just in case. There was no flour. Is everybody learning to bake bread? There was, however, plenty of bread. I stocked up on cat food and litter. I don't want to do without that.

On March 4th I flew back from seeing Carolyn in North Carolina. Was that a normal day? My seat-mate swabbed down the seat belt and tray table before sitting down. Do some people do that all the time? I wondered if the plane was less full than usual, but that can vary.

On March 7th I went into Boston for a NEAPG meeting. I was more conscious than usual about not touching anything in the shuttle bus from Alewife and the train into Park Street. Don't touch your face. Don't touch your face. I went straight to the bathroom at the Congregational Library where the meeting was held and used soap to wash my hands.

Since then I've been to the grocery store, take-out food places. Not much else.

I live alone. I mostly work from home. My quiet days are not unusual. Having nothing on the calendar is unusual. I shouldn't watch so much TV, but I like to get my news live. I have confidence in the governors and their infrastructure planning. No faith in the administration in Washington.

I have plenty of writing, researching (cleaning?) to do here. I have cats wrapped around my legs. I have started to draw on my 401K, but that was done in anticipation of summer construction work replenishing it. We shall see. Social media keeps us in contact, but video chat is better. Genealogical friends have embraced it immediately. Let's see if I can get the family to sit down and try that.

Keep praying. Watch out for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment